According to astronomers with much better math skills and much faster computers than I, the math seems to be working out again that there's another planet out there in the far reaches of ol' Sol's gravitational influence. Reading this made me think some things:
- We really should name the damned thing "Rupert" if it does exist. Seems a fitting and prescient tribute.
- I know the odds on this are, um, astronomical (hah!), but wouldn't it be great if New Horizons were either headed toward or at least able to be nudged in the direction of Rupert? It's not as if we knew the world was out there, so there's a non-zero chance that if Rupert does orbit the sun that our Pluto-buzzing buddy could be able to capture some science data about our newest sister planet.
- Finally, we could re-work the mnemonic to something like:
- My Very Excellent Mother Just Served Us Nine
- Root beers
- Reeses (hello marketing tie-in!)
- ...(your turn)
My imagination is a wonderful place to visit, and much warmer than Planet Rupert.